Questions or concerns regarding a business's compliance with COVID-19 requirements may be directed to the Covid Compliance hotline at 1 (844) VC-OPENS / (844) 826-7367 or email

The Simi Valley Public Library, Senior Center, and Cultural Arts Center remain closed to the public.

 For the most current COVID-19 case numbers and more, visit I En Español

HHW Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

When are the HHW collection events?

HHW collection events are held on the third Saturday every other month:
(Jan, Mar, May, July, Sept, Nov)

Does it cost anything to use the event?

The collection events are free to Simi Valley and Moorpark residents only.

When is the best time to call for an appointment?

The appointment telephone line opens on Monday morning following the last HHW collection, and all available appointments are usually made by the following Thursday.  If you need to find disposal options in the meantime, please consult the City's list of local businesses that accept hazardous materials.

How much household hazardous waste can I bring to dispose?

You can bring up to 15 gallons of liquid or 125 pounds of solid hazardous waste.

Where do I take my hazardous waste?

A week or two before the collection date, you will receive an admission pass to confirm your appointment and give you the collection site address.

Will there be a wait?

No, there is usually no wait.

What can I bring to the collection event?

Please refer to the Household Hazardous Waste Program Flyer. You may bring liquid household cleansers, pool and photo processing chemicals, automotive waste products (such as used oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, grease, fuel additives and gasoline), used paints and solvents, pesticides, fertilizers and herbicides, household and automotive batteries, fluorescent lamps, medical sharps (lancets and syringes), and over-the-counter and prescription medications (except controlled substances or narcotics). If you wish to dispose of something not listed above, please call (805) 583-6412 to see if it may be included.

Are there items that I cannot bring?

We will not accept business, community or medical waste, fireworks, ammunition or explosives, or radioactive waste including smoke alarms. No propane tanks or other compressed gas cylinders will be accepted. For more detailed information visit the Household Hazardous Waste Program website or refer to the Household Hazardous Waste Program Flyer

What if I have more than is accepted or cannot transport my waste?

Please call the Household Hazardous Waste Coordinator at (805) 583-6412 for assistance finding a workable solution to dispose of the waste.

What about pharmaceutical or drug waste disposal?

If you cannot return them to a clinic or use your local household hazardous waste facility, non-hazardous pharmaceuticals may be disposed of in the trash.  The Board of Pharmacy publishes a How-To Guide for Disposing of Pharmaceuticals in the Trash.  Please note that pharmaceuticals prescribed for chemotherapy are likely to be considered hazardous waste and may not be disposed of in the trash.

Never dispose of waste pharmaceuticals down the drain or down the toilet! This includes any prescription or other substances intended to be swallowed, inhaled, injected, applied to the skin or eyes, or otherwise absorbed.

Only facilities or events with a law enforcement officer present may accept controlled substances such as codeine, opiates, or tranquilizers.

What if I need to dispose of sharps before the next collection event?

If you need to dispose of sharps before the next collection event, please view the Sharps Disposal Guidelines and Needle Collection Facilities brochure for more information.

Can I bring my computer or other electronic devices to a collection event?

No. Please call G.I. Industries/Waste Management at (805) 522-9400 for help with small quantities of electronic waste, or check out the City's Live Green Event Calendar for collection events especially for electronic waste.

If I have an aerosol container with a clogged nozzle and I know that when I shake the container there is some liquid inside, can it be thrown away?

No. Aerosol containers that are not or cannot be emptied of contents and propellant should be managed as either hazardous or universal waste, so bring them to a HHW collection.

If an aerosol can is empty to the maximum extent practical under normal use (i.e., I push the nozzle and nothing comes out), is this container exempt from regulation? Can I puncture the container and send it for recycling?

Since modern aerosol products often utilize flammable or explosive propellants, bring them to the HHW collection so that puncturing activities can be conducted with proper aerosol puncturing equipment that meets air quality, OSHA, and other mandates.

How do I get rid of old tires?

Simi Valley & Moorpark residents should contact the Simi Valley Landfill located at:
2801 Madera Road, Simi Valley. The phone number is (805) 522-7023. Used Tires may also be taken to tire stores. Many tire stores accept used tires for a fee (between $1 and $5) or will dispose of your old tires free of charge when you buy new ones.

How can I get rid of used motor oil?

Proper disposal of used oil and filters is easy, and can put a little money in your pocket. There are over 80 parts stores and automotive service centers in Ventura County, 13 of them in Simi Valley (Certified Used Oil Centers), operating as State Certified Used Oil Collection Centers and accept oil FREE OF CHARGE from the public. In fact, due to recent legislation, all certified centers must pay a recycling incentive in the amount of $0.40 per gallon, but only if you request it. Use 5-gallon (or smaller) containers with a secure lid when recycling your used oil. Some centers will accept up to 20 gallons per day from residents. Do not mix used oil with any other fluids such as water, solvents, gasoline or antifreeze. Do not leave used oil at any collection center after business hours. Many centers also accept used oil filters. It is preferable to drain the filter for 24 hours and place it in a leak-proof container like a plastic bag or coffee can before recycling it at a collection center. 

How do I get rid of cooking oil?

Refer to the Residential Grease Program Flyer. For proper disposal of small amounts of used cooking oil and grease generated at home, pour the liquid in a tightly sealed, unbreakable container (such as a coffee can) and place it in your household trash. Dry wipe or scrape grease and food scraps from dishes, pots, pans, utensils and grills (or other cooking surfaces) into a can or the trash for disposal before putting them in the sink or dishwasher. Don’t put large amounts of used cooking oil in the trash, as containers may leak causing problems with garbage trucks and at solid waste facilities. Instead, check with local restaurants to see if they will accept your clear, used cooking oil to be combined into their grease and oil holding tank. Restaurants and food service establishments are required to collect and dispose of used oil through a licensed grease hauler instead of pouring it into kitchen sinks or floor drains. Another option is to save the used oil and grease in a resealable container and bring it to local recycling center or household hazardous waste (HHW) drop-off location. A final option for large amounts of cooking oil or grease is to contact Environmental Compliance at (805) 583-6426 to discuss other possible solutions.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer