To maintain our vital water system, we must both conserve water and protect valuable water resources from pollutants. To help conserve water, the City uses "smart" irrigation controllers that monitor weather and soil conditions to water plants only when needed. To help prevent pollutants from reaching Simi Valley's waterways, the City also offers numerous educational opportunities, publishes Best Management Practices to prevent water pollution, and hosts the Arroyo Simi Cleanup and Coastal Cleanup Day each year.
Resources: Learn Your Green
- Simi Valley Water Conservation Program - Get the latest water conservation tips for everything from your bedroom, to your laundry room, to your back yard. Or, check out the City's water conservation meter to see how much water we are saving together!
- Water Rebate Information - Buying a toilet? New appliances? Sprinkler systems? Check here for the latest rebates that you may qualify for.
- Free Water Use Calculator - Use this simple calculator to find your average annual water use, and learn ways to save.
- "Water Wise" Gardening Tips and Galleries - See pictures of flowers, shrubs, trees, and groundcovers that thrive in Simi Valley's warm climate with just an occasional splash of water.
- Free Wood Chip Program - Get free wood chips from the City's maintenance crews and use them to mulch your yards. They're free!
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention - Attention pet owners, gardeners, and car owners! See what you can do to prevent pollution from reaching our waterways.
- Household Hazardous Wastes - Learn where you can properly dispose of your batteries, fluorescent lights, paints, chemicals, used oil, and more!
- Urban Water Management Plan - Learn about current and planned water supplies and demands, as well as water conservation efforts, including the City/Waterworks District's methods to reduce water use by 20% by 2020, a statewide mandate.
Share Your Green
Share your green ideas and tips and allow your fellow residents and business owners to benefit from your green successes. Or, please share your suggestions and comments on what the City can do to be more green itself. We look forward to creating a sustainable future with your help!
Live Green Events
Please take a moment to visit the City's Live Green Event Calendar for more green opportunities!