The City of Simi Valley is working to improve the economic and environmental health of our City by establishing a community-wide Green Building program. Energy use in buildings accounts for mor ethan half of energy use in Simi Valley. By reducing our energy use in homes, offices, stores, schools, and other commercial buildings, we can support a more sustainable Simi Valley. We're committed to helping the citizens of Simi Valley save money, increase their comfort, and work toward a greener, more energy-efficient tomorrow.
Simi Valley is encouraging property owners to work with local, trained contractors to make energy-efficient upgrades to their homes and business facilities today. By taking steps toward making our buildings more efficient, you can help reduce our energy consumption today and in the future.
As a first step in the Green Building program, the City is making energy-efficiency improvements in its own buildings and is already training its staff to provide comprehensive support for this initiative. Please join us by making energy-efficient upgrades to your homes and business. With your help, we'll reach our community's green building energy-efficiency goals.
Take a Step for Savings and Other BenefitsIn today's economy, we are all looking for ways to save money. Improving the energy efficiency of your home or business will result in cost savings, and also make it more comfortable for your family, customers, or building tenants, while helping to ensure a greener future. Here are some specific ways you can benefit:
- Save Money - The average California homeowner spends about $1,200 a year on utility costs. By improving your home's insulation, for example, you can reduce your heating and cooling costs by 30% - 50%. Businesses can reduce their energy costs, and also reduce operating and maintenance costs by following a strategic energy management approach.
- Improve Comfort - Energy-efficient upgrades can help your home or building stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, increasing your comfort at home and at work.
- Improve Health - Green building upgrades that include energy efficiency, as well as proper ventilation techniques and moisture control, can also improve indoor air quality by reducing exposure to mold and other indoor pollutants.
- Help the Environment - Saving energy today can help conserve our natural resources and contribute to a greener tomorrow for all of us.
As part of the Green Building program, Simi Valley is recognizing the energy-saving achievements of its residents with certificates and graphics that you can proudly display at your home or business. Once you've made your changes, encourage other residents to participate in the program by sharing your experience with family, friends, neighbors, employees/tenants, and others in the community.
Ready to Get Started?
Homeowners, business property owners and managers, and contractors can learn more about the benefits of of energy efficiency, local utility incentives, and how to get involved with the program at these links:
- Home Improvements - Find tools for assessing your home energy use, get information about financial incentives to make upgrades, and learn more about typical home improvement projects.
- Business Improvements - Get resources to help you assess your building's energy performance, work with a contractor to create your own green building plan, and implement energy-efficiency upgrades.
- Find a Contractor - Get tips for working with a contractor and find contact information for building professionals and local contractors.