Buying green is purchasing goods and services that reduce the impact on human health and the environment. Green buyers emphasize smart purchasing, such as choosing products that are long-lasting, high-quality, not toxic, reusable, and easy to recycle. Such products use less energy, water, and materials, and they create less pollution - thus minimizing the impact on our natural environment.
When you are in stores, on-line, or browsing catalogs, you can make a big difference by buying green. Be on the lookout for:
- The recycling logo
- Indicator words such as "postconsumer content," "water based," "odorless," "fragrance-free," and "non-toxic"
- Recyclable packaging
- High durability or multi-functionality - eliminates extra purchases
- Local production, thus minimizing the environmental costs of transporting the item
- Low or no battery usage
- GreenSeal - An independent non-profit organization that certifies products for their environmental friendliness
- California's Best Practices Manual - Get assistance in finding and selecting environmentally preferable products, from carpet to electronics to office supplies
- Cal Recycle - Get tips on how to buy products that minimize trash, where to buy recycled products, and how to reduce your environmental impact while traveling
- Ventura County's Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Portal - Find environmentally preferable tools and tips for cleaning and gardening projects around your home and garden
- Shop Simi Valley First - Save fuel and money by finding Simi Valley businesses that carry exactly what you are looking for
Share Your Green
Share your green ideas and tips and allow your fellow residents and business owners to benefit from your green successes. Or, please share your suggestions and comments on what the City can do to be more green itself. We look forward to creating a sustainable future with your help!
Live Green Events
Please take a moment to visit the City's Live Green Event Calendar for more green opportunities!