IntroductionThe City of Simi Valley is dedicated to maintaining a healthy living environment and preserving the unique way of life in our community for present and future generations. For more information on any of these areas, please click on the icons below.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
Open Space Management
Share your green ideas and tips and allow your fellow residents and business owners to benefit from your green successes. Or, please share your suggestions and comments on what the City can do to be more green itself. We look forward to creating a sustainable future with your help!
What the City Is DoingThe Sustainable Simi Valley Committee, created in December 2007, provides a public forum for the discussion of the efficient use of natural and economic resources. The 13-member advisory body meets on a semi-regular basis.
In conjunction with the Sustainable Simi Valley Committee and the Green Communities Challenge, the City adopted a Green Community Action Plan in August 2010. The plan is the City's environmental vision and is focused on what the City can do operationally and as a community leader in the different areas shown above.
Through its ongoing Energy Leader Partnership with Southern California Edison and its new partnership with the Southern California Gas Company, the City is reducing its energy use and demonstrating for residents and businesses easy steps that may be taken to decrease energy consumption, save money, and reduce environmental impacts. In 2012, the City Council approved new energy efficiency policies that are designed to measure and monitor the City's electricity and natural gas use, and to assist contractors and homeowners increase energy efficiency in their homes and businesses.
- Energy Action Plan for City Facilities: The Energy Action Plan (EAP) is designed to be the overarching strategy to identify and implement energy-saving actions for City facilities. City staff from the Public Works, Administrative Services, and Environmental Services Departments will be able to use the EAP to select specific energy efficiency projects that are cost-effective and that support measures identified in the Green Community Action Plan and the recently adopted Climate Action Plan.
- Benchmarking for City Facilities: City staff can measure and evaluate current energy use for City-owned buildings and City-provided services; compare this energy use to past energy use to make sure building energy use is appropriate; and identify opportunities to increase energy efficiency and reduce energy costs.
- Retro-Commissioning for City Facilities: The City can reduce building operating costs by evaluating the current function and performance of building systems, including occupant comfort, and identify measures to return the performance of building systems to optimal conditions. This policy works in conjunction with the Benchmarking Policy and the EAP.
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory for City Facilities: The City’s compliance with State regulations regarding greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions will be streamlined and updated regularly using this policy. It measures the results of energy efficiency actions that the City has taken since 2006, and provides a strategy for future GHG inventories.
- Voluntary Green Building Policy for Existing Construction: Through the use of education and resources, online permit tools, and staff expertise, this is a simple voluntary green building program for existing, non City-owned buildings. Property owners will receive assistance and be directed toward rebate and incentive programs when they choose to incorporate energy efficient improvements that exceed the current standards into their existing homes and businesses by showing the cost-effectiveness, increased comfort, and other benefits of such projects.
Through the utility partnerships and the City's commitment to achieving energy efficiencies and environmental innovation, residents and businesses will have the opportunity to participate in workshops, educational events, and programs where participants will learn how to save money by saving energy.
The City of Simi Valley was also honored as a Silver Beacon Award winner by the Institute for Local Government for the City's efforts to promote sustainability.
Live Green EventsThere are always many events available in the community to help you live green. The City itself hosts Earth Day and Arbor Day every spring and the Living Green Expo every fall. Get the most up-to-date information about emerging techniques and technologies, volunteer to help keep the environment clean, or learn the greenest ways to get rid of all that junk you've been collecting over the years!
|Free Hands-On Drip Irrigation Workshops||05/09/2020 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Hands-On Drip Irrigation Workshops||04/11/2020 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Hands-On Drip Irrigation Workshops||03/14/2020 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Rain Barrel Sale||02/15/2020 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Family Book Festival 2020||02/08/2020 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Hands-On Drip Irrigation Workshops||11/09/2019 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Not Included||Not Included|
|FREE CA Friendly and Native Plant Landscaping Class||10/12/2019 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|2019 Coastal Cleanup Day||09/21/2019 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Public Invited To City Budget Meeting||05/23/2019 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Residential Cleanup and Recycling Day||05/19/2019 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Landscape Transformation Class Series||04/20/2019 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Landscape Transformation Class Series||03/16/2019 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off Event||03/16/2019 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Free Landscape Transformation Class Series||02/16/2019 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Volunteer Fair at the Simi Valley Public Library||11/29/2018 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Join the Neighborhood Councils - Its Your Home, Your City||11/01/2018 4:45 PM - 5:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Hands-On Residential Drip Irrigation Class||05/12/2018 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Agenda:Drip Irrigation Workshops||Not Included|
|Community Projects Grant Review Committee Meeting||05/03/2018 6:30 PM||Agenda:Community Projects Grant Review Committee Agenda Packet - May 3, 2018||Not Included|
|Free Residential Turf Removal Training Workshop||04/14/2018 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM||Not Included||Not Included|
|Hands-On Residential Drip Irrigation Class||04/14/2018 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM||Agenda:Drip Irrigation Workshops||Not Included|